Lead Build & Release Engineer - Major E-Commerce Retailer - WCBD, Ant, Maven, CruiseControl, Opsware SAS, RHEL RPM, Websphere Commerce, WCS - Austin, TX
The Lead Build & Release Engineer is responsible for the design and implementation of those technologies and processes that compile, package, and deploy both complex J2EE web applications and mobile web application into a large scale hosting environment. This person will also partner closely with other functional teams on a number of strategic initiatives, including application componentization, continuous integration / continuous delivery, automation of the organization's more complex processes, and the implementation / improvement of related SDLC tools and technologies; the key drivers here being increased parallelization and a more agile approach to development, testing, and deployment. This person will be a member of the Online IT Release Management team and will be knowledgeable in the areas of Software Configuration Management, Change Management, and Release Management.
- Research, design, plan, implement, and test technologies and processes that compile, package, and deploy J2EE and mobile web applications.
- Support existing build and deploy technologies and processes.
- Perform root cause analysis for more complex build and deploy failures; review root cause analyses performed by more junior resources.
- Collaborate with teammates and other functional stakeholders on strategic initiatives, providing technical leadership and advocating for best-practices.
The Lead Systems Engineer develops, maintains and supports our complex technical infrastructures, hardware, and system software components. Operates as a team lead providing expert technical direction to team members. Interface with Business Stakeholders on all complex projects. Ability to present ideas and take charge of projects. Update manager on all escalated issues.
- Manage installation, maintenance and support of complex technical infrastructures, hardware, and system software components.
- Manage and tune platforms to ensure expected availability and performance levels are achieved.
- Provide expert technical direction to Sr. System, System, Associate Engineers and contractors.
- Manage store & corporate engineering and roll-out implementation.
- Perform root cause analysis for service interruption recovery; create preventative measures on complex projects.
- Interface with Business Stakeholders on all applicable projects. Update manager on all escalated issues.
- BS Computer Science or related field.
- 7+ years experience as an enterprise-level Build & Release Engineer; we are looking for an experienced Build expert.
- Experience supporting and maintaining existing technologies and processes while also researching, prototyping, and implementing cutting-edge solutions.
- Strong debugging skills are required; intellectual curiosity and critical thinking is a must
- Experience automating the build, packaging, and deployment of complex J2EE/Websphere applications using build frameworks such as WCBD, Ant, Maven and Jenkins. Websphere Commerce experience would be a huge plus.
- Experience designing and implementing application deployment scripts into a large scale environment without application downtime that includes both traditional and mobile web technologies.
- Experience automating the deployment and configuration of Websphere based applications to AIX/Linux servers using tools such as Opsware SAS, RHEL RPM, and custom tools.
- Strong scripting and automation background.
- Must be comfortable with a variety of scripting languages such as Perl, Korn shell, ANT, and JACL
- Strong understanding of SCM concepts such as branching, merging, and baseline management; experience with SVN a plus.
- Experience with artifact and dependency management, processes, and technologies a plus.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
- Ability to communicate issues and recommend solutions in a timely manner to Management.
- Strong decision making abilities.
- Experience developing new application systems for production.